Blind-spot monitoring (BSM) is a relatively new technology and has been featured on the latest Toyota models since 2014. It uses radars to continuously monitor the side of the vehicle to warn the driver if another vehicle gets too close.
These systems have been proven to reduce accidents and improve driver and passenger safety.
In this article, we’ll tell you exactly which Toyota models have blind-spot monitors and which don’t.
1. Toyota Rav4
The Toyota Rav4 is the Americas most popular SUV, offering comfort, practicability, and surprisingly good fuel economy. It also comes with blind-spot monitoring as an option on most trim levels.
However, there are a couple of trim levels where blind-spot monitoring is not included and there is no option to have it added. See below for more details:
- LE – Blind Spot Monitoring included
- XLE – Blind Spot Monitorin included
- LE Hybrid – The LE Hybrid trim level does not come with Blind Spot Monitoring, and there are no options to add it, either. You will therefore have to select either the XLE or XSE hybrid trim levels to get blind-spot monitoring.
- XLE Premium Hybrid – Blind-spot monitoring is not included at the ‘XLE Premium Hybrid’ trim level. However, you can have it added as part of an options package.
- XSE Hybrid – Blind spot monitoring is also not included at the XSE trim level, but you have the option to add it as part of a convenience package.
- Prime SE – Blind Spot Monitoring included
- Prime SXE – Blind Spot Monitoring included
You might also like: Why Are Toyota 4Runners So Expensive? (4 Reasons Explained)
2. Toyota Camry:
The Toyota Camry is Toyotas second best-selling car, known for its comfortable ride and reliability. The Camry is the most popular sedan in the United States, so you would hope that it had blind-spot monitoring.
Unfortunately, none of the 2022 trim levels come with blind-spot monitoring as standard. This includes both the Hybrid and non-hybrid versions.
However, Toyota has made blind-spot monitors available on every Camry trim as part of an options package upgrade that is likely to cost in the region of $1200.
3. Toyota Corolla:
The Toyota Corolla is well known for its comfy interior and excellent gas mileage.
This hugely popular Toyota model has also had blind-spot monitoring added to it in the last few years. However, it’s not always available on every trim level. See below for details:
2022 Toyota Corolla Sedan
- Hybrid LE – Blind spot monitoring is not included with the Corolla Hybrid LE, but you have the option to add it as part of a convenience package.
- XSE – The XSE trim has blind-spot monitoring included
- XSE Apex Edition – The XSE Apex Addition also comes with blind-spot monitoring.
2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
- XSE – Blind spot monitoring is not included with the XSE trim level. However, you can add it as part of a convenience options package that will cost you an extra $1,000-1,300.
- SE Nightshade Edition – The SE Nightshade edition doesn’t include blind-spot monitoring and there is no option to have it added, so forget about this trim level if BSM is important to you.
- XSE – The XSE trim level is the only Corolla Hatchback trim that includes blind-spot monitoring.
4. Toyota Tacoma
The Tacoma is one of the most well-known compact trucks in the world, popular for its excellent reliability and off-road capabilities.
If you want blind-spot monitoring on your Tacoma, you need to choose the higher trim levels, as it’s not available with the standard trim.
- SR – Blind spot monitoring is not available at the SR trim level, and can not be added even as part of an options package. You’ll therefore need to upgrade to a higher trim level if you want this feature.
- TRD Off-Road – Blind spot monitoring does not come included at the TRD Off-Road trim level. However, you can add it as part of an options package.
- Limited – As you would expect, Blind Spot Monitoring is included at the highest ‘Limited’ trim level.
You might also like: Why Are Toyota Tacomas So Expensive? (4 Reasons)
5. Toyota Prius
The Prius was the first mass-produced Hybrid vehicle, making it one of the most famous hybrid/electric cars in production today.
Blind-spot monitoring is usually only included for the Toyota Prius at higher trim levels, and for trims that don’t have it, Toyota does not offer the option to add it.
- L Eco – Blind Spot Monitoring is not available at the L Eco trim level and can not be added as an extra, so you will need to upgrade if you want this feature.
- LE – The LE trim level includes blind-spot monitors.
- XLE – The highest XLE trim level also includes blind-spot monitors.
2022 Prius Prime
- LE – Blind-spot monitors are not available at the LE trim level, and cannot be added as an extra.
- XLE – The XLE trim levels do also not include BSM and it can not be added as an extra.
- Limited – This is the only Prius Prime trim level that includes blind-spot monitoring technology.
6. Toyota Tundra
The Toyota Tundra is a popular full-size truck that is powerful and ideal for heavy work usage while still being comfortable enough for everyday use.
The Toyota Tundra only includes blind-spot monitoring at the highest trim level, but you can also add it as part of an options package on the lower-level trims.
- SR5 – Blind spot monitoring is not included on the SR5 trim level, but you can add it as part of an options package.
- Limited – The Limited trim level also excludes blind-spot monitoring in its features list. However, you can have it added if you purchase the convenience options package.
- Platinum – Platinum is the only Tundra trim level to include blind-spot monitoring without the need to purchase an additional options package
You might also like: Toyota Tundra Mileage (9 Questions Answered)
7. Toyota C-HR
The Toyota C-HR is a boldly designed SUV that has been designed to provide maximum fuel economy at the expense of speed.
The Toyota C-HR includes blind-spot monitors in the higher XLE and Nightshade trim levels. However, it is not available on the standard LE trim level and can not be added as an option.
- LE – Blind Spot monitors not available at the LE trim level
- XLE – Blind spot monitors includes with the XLE trim level
Nightshade Edition – Blie spot monitoring is also included at the Nightshade trim level.
Does The Toyota Highlander Have Blind Spot Monitoring?
The Highlander is one of the most reliable SUVs and comes with an impressive off-road pedigree.
Unfortunately, the Highlander does not have Blind Spot Monitoring at any trim level, either on Hydbird or non-hybrid versions.
It also appears as though there is no option to at Blind Spot monitoring to the Highlander.
Final Thoughts – Toyota Models With Blind Spot Monitors
it’s clear that blind-spot monitors are being more common in most Toyota models.
However, it’s disappointing that it doesn’t come as standard.
Hopefully, in the future, most Toyota models will include this safety feature without having to upgrade or pay extra for it as part of an options package.